Sunday 5 October 2014

I hate running...

It happened. A while back I had signed up for the London Marathon. For years I knew of people trying to get a place and failing, so I figured I'll sign up for it. I can be one of those runners without actually having to run. I'd just have to act disappointed when I get my rejection and join in with the 'oh dear, maybe next year' club. At least I could say I've tried to run a marathon, just not tried too hard.

But as fate would have it, I got home to a 'You're In!' staring up at me from the welcome mat. I immediately checked my husbands post to see his decision and saw the 'Sorry Not This Time' peeping through the plastic wrap. My immediate thought? "Why me?" Someone up there was having a right old laugh at me.



I later discovered not only had my husband not got a place but at least 7 people I know hadn't. These were all desperate for the opportunity, seasoned runners who put a whole lot of effort in to keeping fit and achieving great things through running. I felt a little sheepish, like a fraud who didn't deserve a place, because I guess that's what I am, I really don't want this! 

But I'm not going to let those who didn't get a place down, I have to run this and I have to do it the best I can which involves a) a whole lot of running (blergh) and b) a whole lifestyle change (no more wine). This to me is devastating, and anyone who knows me will realise this. I am going to hate my life for the next 7 months, but I only have myself to blame and who knows maybe something amazing will happen and I will start to enjoy it...

0 comments:

Post a Comment