Monday 24 November 2014

Week 6 & 7

Week 6
Day 1
Determined to go out slower today I started off at a snails pace and it paid off. I got round my usual 5k route and decided to go further because I felt that good. I dropped Joe off at home and ran, feeling loads better than when I just set off. This is where it has all clicked into place with me. I felt that buzz that people always talk about that I always thought was a myth and only people who were 'born to run' could experience. I went for 4 miles and made it feeling fantastic. This has definitely given me a new lease of life for running and achieving my goal.

Day 2
We spent the weekend up at my parents house in Ambleside. This is always a worry as there is so much food and alcohol there it's easy to fall into a sloth like existence, but I was determined to go out. Saturday morning I woke up and went back to sleep, it wasn't going to happen.

Then my husband decided to show me up and went for a casual 10k run around the mountains (he's the type who was born to run, grrr). So I felt my competitive spirit coming out and I got up on Sunday morning and set off out to the hills. Wow, it was so difficult! I don't know how these fell runners do it. Downhill was harder than uphill, I tentatively placed my feet on all the rocks attempting to avoid the slippy ones and the leaves and moss and sheep poo, there were death traps everywhere!

And then I found myself in a bog surrounded by sheep, thinking I was going to get stuck and eaten alive slowly because no-one would find me. It was a pretty harrowing experience so felt like I had achieved a lot when I found myself back at the safety of my parents house. However, I looked at my Nike+ and it said I had done a measly 2.7 miles! But I am thinking my GPS didn't work properly because I had been out for an hour and it only said I was out for 37 minutes, that's my excuse anyway...it made me feel better.

Week 7
Day 1
The hill/bog running had paid off! 6.05 miles (the .05 is very important)! Almost 10k, in fact I would have done 10k if my GPS had been set to km instead of miles. Best feeling ever after that run! Took me 1 hour 14, but each mile was faster than the last and felt great, so could probably get a good time if I had really pushed myself.

To celebrate I booked myself a place on the Guys 10 mile road race. Not much of a prize I think you'll agree but after that run I feel like I can really do it so am going to really go for it and try to get way beyond the 10k (16k I think it works out to be). Even if I have to walk some of it at least I'm getting the distance in and can build on speed.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get out again this week, but am planning another big run tomorrow in Week 8 so will hopefully be able to get a few good runs in so will report back next week on the build up to my 10 miler!



What I have learned
Never trust a GPS, or sheep

My Goals
To get beyond 10k

Feeling
Amazing after my 10k breakthrough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment