Wednesday 29 October 2014

Week 3

I've started noticing a lot of people asking how far I am running. I suppose it's their yard stick for how close to marathon standards I am, judging whether they think I am going to make it or not. When I reluctantly/embarrassingly tell them how far they either look very worried for me or laugh hysterically at me.

The truth is I am probably not even going to get to marathon standards, not on any self-respectful level, but that's not necessarily my aim. My aim is to do the best I can with a body that has suffered years of neglect in the short amount of time I have available to me. If that means that I don't run very far then please don't judge me, I am doing the best I can. As long as I get out three times a week I'm sure I will start to see improvements along the way, which will then give me the confidence to start thinking about the challenge ahead. But until then I have to just do what I can, when I can.

Mid-run selfie with my son Joe looking very red faced 
Here is how this week has gone down:

Day 1
Nada, nil, nothing. My legs huuurt beyond belief, I struggle to walk so am trying to rest them, even cycling or swimming is looking painful to me. Getting a bit depressed also that I can't even do the simplest things

Day 2
Today I am determined. No matter how much it hurts I am just going to get out there. As a friend pointed out, no matter how bad you think a run has gone you will be better and stronger for your next run. So I managed 15 minutes again and only my right leg hurt, 50% less pain I can deal with! Feeling so happy at this point as it was so frustrating not being able to run it actually felt really good to be out there no matter how short

Day 3
Yes! I managed 20 minutes then walked for a bit and a further 5 minutes run home. Feeling ace :) and for those of you who ask 2.5 miles, which may sound pitiful but it was my own little marathon

What I have learned
To take my time and not worry about the standard other people think I should be running at

My Goals 
To just get out there three times and see what I can do

Feeling
Pretty good, long may this continue!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. You got out there and that's the main thing. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete