Sunday 9 November 2014

Weeks 4 & 5

I'm combining these weeks together just so I can cheat as Week 4 was a bit of a write off.

Day 1
Went out in the morning with Joe and tried to go for 5k but struggled so cut it short. Felt rubbish and legs were still very sore. Couldn't catch Joe again.

Day 2 & 3
Didn't happen! We were busy with selling our house and hosting a Halloween party, although I think because I was so disappointed with day 1 I didn't have any motivation to go out again anyway.

So, without further ado I will skip to Week 5!

Day 1
Horrible rainy dark Tuesday morning I managed to peel myself away from my nice warm bed and get out there. I dragged Joe out of his slumber and we set off onto the streets. 

A lot of training advice I have read says to keep your pace 'conversational'. Personally I didn't think the two were very compatible, when I run I breathe so heavily I can't hear anything else. Picture a red sweaty puffing and panting, headband wearing mass and you have me. Not exactly a conversation starter.

So I set off as slowly as I could to try and maintain a conversation with Joe, and it worked! I'm usually running as fast as I can to get the pain over with more quickly, no wonder I can't go very far! But this time I felt really good. We did 3 miles and I felt I could have gone further, my pace also increased with every mile so I was obviously feeling good (lets ignore the fact the second two miles are more downhill).

I think the rest did my legs good also as they felt a lot better than after previous runs. 

Day 2
Same again. Didn't feel as good but managed it a little quicker with a sprint finish which was fun!

Day 3 
Same again, although Joe pushed me to start quicker to try and get our time down to under 30 mins so I obliged but the inevitable happened and I ended up having to walk after the first mile. Really annoyed with myself so went a wee bit further (actually tried a shortcut but got lost so ended up having to run further!) and did a sprint finish again.

So you can see from this weeks activity my mood got worse throughout the week and run 3's pace ended up being the same as week 1 even though I went out faster because I had to walk, so the moral of the story is...

What I have learned
To start slow!!!!

My Goals
To build up to 4 miles next week

Feeling
Quite proud I've run 9.17 miles in a week and feel fine for it. My legs are obviously building up some resistance finally and dare I say it...it's getting easier...?

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Emily, you're doing well and let's not forget to give Joe some praise too as he also doing well getting out with you in a morning.Well done Joe!!

    Your legs will go through all sorts of aches and pains. I'm like a cripple some weeks when I'm just walking around the house but once I get out running the legs loosen off and feel good.

    My milestone was when I slowed down slightly and ran at an extremely slow pace. I realised that I could get up the hills that I hated and not feel like there wasn't enough air in the world to breathe.

    Look forward to reading more about your progress.

    ReplyDelete