Sunday 7 December 2014

Week 8 & 9

Week 8

Day 1
My usual Tuesday morning run was cut short as we were having our windows replaced first thing, so I had a sprinting race with Joe to the local park and back just to try and get something done. It wasn't even a mile but was pretty hard work anyway! 

Day 2
After a disappointing first run and the 10 miler looming I felt determined to get out and run 8 miles. It was only 2 miles further than I had already run the week before and only 2 miles short of what I was supposed to run the following Sunday so it felt achievable but also closer to my goal. I planned my route and set off. It soon occurred to me that I hadn't factored in a huge hill for the first 2 miles, but as I felt good and determined I powered on. It didn't last long though, I got to the top of the hill and almost passed out, the whole world was spinning around me. I felt so bad I called my husband to come and pick me up. Could have had something to do with the bottle of wine and lack of sleep I had the night before so I vowed to have another try tomorrow minus the hill and wine. 

Day 3
Joe agreed to come out with me today so I had a bit of company. He was going to just run 5k then head home but he ended up doing the whole 7 miles with me. Yes I said 7, it was supposed to be 8 but the whole run felt horrible so I was happy to just through that much. Starting to really panic about the 10 miler now, but my friend Nat who I was running it with assured me that we can just run 10k then have a walk and just take it really easy so I felt much better. 

Week 9

The week leading up to the run I did nothing again. I think I had slipped into denial and I didn't need to do anything coupled with the fact we are really busy with the sale of our house and the temperature has really dropped making it less than desirable to get out there. so somehow the week slipped away and I found myself on Sunday morning wondering what on earth I was doing. 

I checked the weather the night before and there was a weather warning for snow and ice. Excellent I thought, it's going to be hell. I got myself ready and set off with my family in tow for moral support. "Just kick their butts Mum" my youngest's advice was. Good advice Austin, thanks. 

I can tell you the moment the reality hit. We pulled into the car park at Guy's and there were very professional looking runners everywhere all limbering up drinking tea (tea! Will you not need a wee half way round?!). I made the worst mistake I could then and checked the previous years results, this is when my heart sank. The past three years everyone had come in under 2 hours. If I wanted to do that I had to retain the pace I had for my 6 mile run I had done. So, I had to run as fast and 4 miles further with no walking allowed to make 2 hours. It was never going to happen, this was just going to be embarrassing and I was going to come last place by a long way. I wanted to go home. 

Natalie arrived so I had no choice but to get out there and give it a go. I went to get my number and checked out the route, but actually didn't look too bad and at least it was flat, no hills to contend with. We set off and thankfully Nat kept the same snail pace as me and we soon found ourselves bringing up the rear. The first 4 miles the weather was very unkind and there were strong winds blowing right at us so it felt like we weren't getting anywhere, that was tough but at the halfway point we turned with the wind behind us and we were able to pick up a bit of speed and overtake 4 people! That felt good, I wasn't last! 

Past mile 7 I started to really tire especially as that is the furthest I had ever run and I had it in my head this would be the point I would have to limp home. We got to mile 8 which felt great and Nat powered on ahead of me. Those last 2 miles I felt like I was in the twilight zone. It felt never ending like I was just running on the spot and not getting anywhere. All I kept thinking in my head is that if I stop to walk I would never run again so I had to just keep going but that was the hardest thing ever. Then it started hailing. Eventually after what felt like a lifetime I saw the end in sight, I still kept a slowish pace as the last thing I needed was to collapse so close to the finish, as I got near to the finish clock I saw the time of 2:00:01. I can't believe I had been so close to getting under 2 hours, I had no idea how that just happened, so my happiness allowed me to run as fast as I could to get a time of 2 hours 1 minute! I was ecstatic and I didn't come last!

Looking rather red faced with our cheese medals!


What I have learned
That I can do it and it wouldn't be so bad to come last, someone has to, I still felt fantastic for my personal achievement. 

My goals
To take it easy over Christmas. We are moving house in 2 weeks so will be busy with that then I can pick it up in Jan and aim for the marathon in April! 

Feeling
Amazing, my goal was to be able to run 10k comfortably by Christmas and I have just run 10 miles, albeit not very comfortably but has given me a huge boost that my goal is achievable which I have never believed until now. Saying that though the thought of running another 16.2 miles after that feels me with absolute dread...

0 comments:

Post a Comment